Thursday, January 3, 2013

2013 ~ The Year of Faithful

I sit here in front of a blank screen with a blank new year laying out in front of me. All new possibilities. Every day a new unknown. I don't deal well with the unknown. I need to know. I need to plan. I need to...

I need to be still. I need to trust. I need to sit back and rest in a faithful God who already knows completely what is completely unknown to me past this very moment. I know I need to learn to live in His moments, not mine.

I was recently challenged to "name my year." You know, to basically choose a word that you believe you need to focus on or an area you need to grow in understanding. After prayer and thought, I chose faithful.

There were a few words I could have chosen, but I soon began to realize they all stemmed from a lack of trust. Lack of trust in people, lack of trust in a lot of circumstances, but mostly...a lack of trust in God. A faithful, unchanging, always-present God. So, as we sat down to have our family bible time on the first day of this new year, highlighter in hand, I began to listen for my word chosen for this year. This first day of reading, Peter spoke of a "faithful" God. In 1 Peter 4:19 we are reminded that God is a "faithful Creator" whom we should be fully committed to even in our sufferings, continuing to do good.  The study note in my version takes it a step further saying, "If God can oversee the forces of nature, surely he can see us through the trials we face." Surely. When you read it put like that, it is almost sad I even had to choose a word like "faithful" as my word of 2013.

But I did.

So, here goes...

FAITHFUL - firm in adherence; loyal; worthy of trust; devotion

My faithful (worthy of trust) Savior has this blank slate of a coming year in his hands.

I don't "need" to know anything other than that.

Knowing this should be enough. It always has been. Always will be.

2013 looks to hold some exciting adventures that only the Lord knows how they will end ~ the first one being that we will be putting our 19 year old son on a plane in almost exactly 54 hours to go live in Asia for six months.

This momma's heart hurts. But, he has a Father who is more Faithful than I could ever be. 

I will make an active choice to press into the One that knew before my son was even born he would have plans to step on a plane headed for the other side of the world on 1-5-13.

And so, the blank slate of this new year begins to fill in...by an overwhelmingly faithful Father in complete control of every single one of our moments.

One moment at a time...








No comments:

Post a Comment